Little Stars Information Report



Little Stars Pre- School

Local authorities are required to set out and publish a ‘local offer’. This explains how they will work with parents, local schools and

colleges, as well as other services such as Health and Wellbeing Boards. This will encourage a more joined-up process when

delivering services for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. It will also make the system less stressful for

families by giving parents more information about the services and expertise available locally, and increasing their choice.


Vision statement:

“Laying Foundations for Life-Long Learning"

Our school believes that all students should be able to make the best possible progress at school and we are committed to ensuring that the necessary provision is made for any pupil who has SEND. We support pupils with SEND to be included in all aspects of school life.

What kind of Special Educational Needs [SEN] are provided for?

  • A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.
  • Special educational needs and provision can be considered as falling under four broad areas:
    • Communication and interaction
    • Cognition and learning
    • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
    • Sensory and / or physical needs

How will children with Special Educational Needs be identified and what sorts of assessments will be completed?

  • Baseline assessments/ Early Years Outcomes
  • Teacher / LSA / SENCO/ Early Years Practitioner identification through observation / professional judgement and assessments
  • Parent information concerns
  • Tracking progress through intervention/support
  • 2Simple profiling and tracking of individual progress
  • Speech and language screen including “Talkboost” (from 4yrs old)
  • Literacy assessments
  • Maths assessments
  • Pre-school assessments and liaisons between settings
  • Therapists e.g. speech and language
  • Liaison with Area SENCO
  • If children come into school with a statement already in place
  • Transition between settings
  • Personal, social and emotional development levels

Who is responsible for the Special Educational Needs provision in our setting?

  • The Senco of Early years. Miss Christina Gipson
  • Area SENCO...Jackie Bath

 What arrangements are there for consulting parents of children with Special Educational Needs and involving them in their child’s education?

  • Formal
    • Termly Learning Consultations [TLC]- Learning Journeys
    • Parent consultation meetings
    • Regular Child Centred review meetings
    • Parent views
    • Annual reviews for children with a statement / plan
  • Informal
    • Discussion at the door- verbal feedback
    • Communication books incl Talkboost/ early support where applicable
    • Emails
    • Invite parents in to meet with the specialist teachers
    • “Open door” policy
    • Phone Calls 

What arrangements are there for consulting young people with Special Educational Needs and involving them in their education?

  •  “All about me” booklet
  • Conversation with teacher / learning support assistant [LSA] / Higher Level Teaching Assistant [HLTA] / Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator [SENCO]
  • Parental/children questionnaires

What arrangements are there for assessing and reviewing children and young people’s progress towards outcomes, including the opportunities available to work with parents and young people as part of this assessment and review?

  • Progress reviews
  • Range of assessments in school and by outside agencies or specialists
  • Children’s views
  • Parent views
  • Pupil progress meetings
  • Tracking meetings
  • Observations
  • Person Centred Approach
  • Specialist Teacher

 What arrangements are there for supporting children and young people in moving between phases of education?

  • Pre-school to Foundation
    • Home visits
    • Nursery visits
    • Team around the child [TAC] meetings
    • Welcome meetings and booklet
    • Tea and chat
    • School tours
    • Transition visits where appropriate
    • Transition programme
    • Liaison with pre-school SENCo
  • Moving between pre-schools
    • Liaison between the SENCos/ specialist teachers and outside agencies
    • Paperwork to be forwarded as soon as possible
    • If children are from out of county, statement/EHC plan to be re-written into the Essex Format
    • Meeting with the parent and child

How are adaptations made to the setting and learning environment of children and young people with Special Educational Needs?

  • Reasonable changes and adaptions to the physical environment
  • Ramps to make the site accessible
  • Toilets adapted for disabled users
  • Double doors in some parts of the building
  • Interactive outdoor learning environment including garden and forest school.
  • Use of assistive technology
  • Visual timetables
  • All advice taken from specialist teachers
  • Specialist resources
  • Playtime provision
  • Parents recommendations

What expertise and training of staff supporting children and young people with Special Educational Needs have, including how specialist expertise is secured?

  • Staff have received some training relating to SEN
  • Area SENCO
  • Speech and language therapist advice
  • Occupational therapist advice
  • Physiotherapist’s advice
  • Advice from Child and Adolescent mental health service if needed
  • Play therapist support
  • Counsellor
  • Senco update
  • All staff will receive specialist training when required and available
  • Attend various training programmes organised by the local authority

How is the effectiveness of the provision given to children and young people with Special Educational Needs evaluated?

  • Intervention reviews
  • Annual Reviews / Person Centred Reviews
  • Parent Views
  • Self review evaluation
  • Area SENCO feedback
  • Keeping updated with current practice
  • Parental feedback
  • Child’s views
  • Ofsted
  • Termly learning journeys
  • EYFS Outcomes

How are children and young people with Special Educational Needs enabled to engage in activities available with children and young people in the school who do not have Special Educational Needs?

  • General inclusion in activities / curriculum
  • Social skills groups
  • Circle time
  • Adult or peer support as necessary to help children.
  • Bespoke curriculum-individualised timetables where appropriate
  • Life skills
  • Enrichment activities

What support is there for improving emotional and social development?

  • Circle time
  • Counsellor eg bereavement counsellor via County team
  • Play therapy
  • behaviour system
  • Forest school
  • Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning [SEAL]
  • Personal, Social, Health Education [PSHE]
  • Access to local church ministers
  • Community Police

How does the pre-school involve other bodies, including health and social care bodies, local authority support services and voluntary sector organisations, in meeting children and young people’s Special Educational Needs and supporting their families?

  • Invites to Team Around the Child / Team Around the Family meetings
  • Open door policy
  • Referrals as appropriate to:
    • General Practitioner [GP]
    • Paediatrician
    • Colchester Primary Ophthalmic Clinic [CPOC]
    • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service [CAMHS]
    • Speech And Language Therapist [SALT]
    • Social Care
  • Family Support to include signposting to:
    • Family in Focus
    • Family Solutions
    • FAST Team
    • Play And Resource Centre [PARC]
    • ARK
    • Parent Partnership
    • Essex Dyslexia Support
    • ADHD Chelmsford Group
    • And various other local support groups
    • Please see the Local Authority Offer for detail  

What arrangements are in place for handling complaints from parents of children with SEN about the provision made at the pre-school?

  • Please refer to the pre-school’s complaints policy


  • All of the information here applies to children with special educational needs, including those who are looked after by the local authority.
  • This information should be read alongside the information provided by the local authority which can be found on the Essex website.